The Department Head supervises and directs all assessment activities and programs in the Department. He delegates undergraduate assessment responsibilities to the Curriculum Committee. The Curriculum Committee comprises 7 faculty with significant teaching assignments and the student adviser. Graduate assessment is delegated to the Graduate Programs Committee. The Committee consists of 5 faculty with significant research appointments. In addition, the Department Head on occasion will appoint internal and external ad hoc committees to advise him on curriculum relevance and program direction.
- Student Input in Assessment
- ADVS implements the Utah State University policy of having every course evaluated by students each time it is offered. Evaluations are reviewed annually by the Department Head and faculty to insure the highest level of instructional competence.
- The School of Graduate Studies administers an exit survey for graduating students. The Department Head and GPC review the results for ADVS graduates.
- The Department conducts its own written exit survey. The Department Head and GPC review the results.
- The Department Head conducts an oral exit interview at or around the time the Graduate Program Coordinator signs off on the completion of the thesis/dissertation form. The purpose of the interview is to assess the students’ graduate experience and to respond to critical issues that may need immediate attention.
- Curriculum Assessment
- The GPC makes recommendations to, and seeks input from, the ADVS faculty on a regular basis regarding graduate programs in the Department. Assessment of graduate training involves continuous liaison with Colleges/Universities offering similar graduate degrees. Curricula are adjusted as needed to meet the present-day skills and training required by academia and industry.
- In addition to adjustments based on continuous assessment, the GPC periodically undertakes a comprehensive review of ADVS graduate program curricula at approximately five-year intervals. Such reviews include extensive surveys of current students, alumni, and employers of ADVS graduates, as well as reviews of comparable programs at peer institutions.
- Student Performance Assessment
- The success rate of graduates from ADVS graduate programs in career placement and admission to other graduate programs is closely tracked. The standard of excellence is to ensure that every graduate student completing a degree program in ADVS is competitive for positions in teaching, research, extension, and industry and for admittance to professional schools.
- Animal/Dairy Science Emphasis
- Biotechnology Emphasis
- Bioveterinary Science Emphasis
- Equine Science and Management Emphasis